Thursday, July 16, 2009

I Say, Watson

* I won't miss rehearsing, but I will miss going to our rehearsal space.  On the blighted stretch of road past various fast food joints and overgrown lawns there is a pet grooming store.  Then, directly next to it, there is a taxidermist.  It cracks me up everytime.  I want to know the story behind the two establishments.  Who was there first?  Are the owners friendly?  Do they ever offer joint discounts?  Ten groomings gets you a free stuffing?  Has anyone ever gone to the taxidermist by mistake and come back an hour later to find Fluffy mounted on a wall?

* I'm trying not to get too sentimental about the "lasts."  As I passed that grooming/taxidermist 1-2 punch yesterday I giggled and then thought, "Egad (my inside voice sounds like Sherlock Holmes), that's the last time I'll ever pass that!"  I thought the same thing as I was driving home from rehearsal:  "I say, that's the last time we ever gather ourselves in a space and rehearse our songs!"  I've done my last radio interview.  My last print interview (and subsequently, I've also read the last article written about me, crumpled it up, and thrown it away in a huff -- a huff!).  It's all very strange.  48 hours from now I will no longer be in a band.

* On the plus side, I've been so caught up with selling a house, buying a house in another city, studying for a midterm, and taking care of two little girls that I haven't had much time to really think about it.  (Or see the new Harry Potter movie.)  I'm not sure when it will hit me.  When my legs will get wobbly and I'll have to sit down.  Maybe that won't happen.  Maybe I really am OK with it.  

* A few programming notes:

1.  Brian, Brigid, and I will be playing WFPK's Live Lunch tomorrow (Friday) at noon.  There is limited seating available at WFPK's studios but you can also listen to the show on the air (91.9 FM in Louisville) or online (WFPK.org).  If you like the music of The Jets you won't want to miss it.  All together now:  "You must have heard it from my best friend.  He's always talking when he should be listening..."

2.  Yes, I will write about the other statements I made a few days ago -- about being a college dropout and a stay-at-home dad.  And yes, those are real.  I wanted to start out with something light before getting into the heavier stuff.  

3.  I'll continue posting on the band's myspace page and website for a few more days and then I'll move the whole operation over to my new blog site:  robdidntstartthefire.blogspot.com.  What?  There was a song about not starting the fire?  Really?  Oh yeah, well was it always burning since the world's been turning?  It was?  Dammit.  I knew I should have gone with my other idea:  singusasongyouretherobman.blogspot.com.

4.  I caught — from start to finish — Poison's "Give Me Something to Believe In" on the radio the other day.  When it first started I couldn't quite place it, then the first line came in ("Well I see them on the TV preaching about the promised land") and I kind of chuckled.  By the time CC's epic way over-the-top guitar solo came in I had the volume all the way up and was singing along at the top of my lungs.  That's not really a programming note.  But it is awesome.

R
robcarpenter11@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Hey, welcome to Blogger! I was sorry to hear that you guys are calling it a day with the music, but I'm glad you're still going to blog. It's been fun to get to know you and your family and read whatever random things come to your mind :)

    ReplyDelete